Sunday, December 17, 2006

Day of rest?

Today was certainly not a day of rest, by any stretch of the imagination - though I'm not complaining at all. I am still trying to get laundry done and the house cleaned before heading off to Chicago tomorrow. I'm looking forward to spending a day or so with my best friend from high school and beyond, Kim Mitchell (Begerow) who lives with her husband and daughter in a Chicago suburb. We are going to do some shopping and then Tuesday I'm getting up and heading into Grand Rapids, Michigan. It's about a three hour drive and I'm hoping to leave early enough to miss rush hour in both states...wish me luck! When I was still at Purdue Mike would fly into Chicago and we'd meet up downtown. I've promised him to go and have a drink at Ralph, one of his favorite spots there...it's a little bar inside the Polo store on Michigan Avenue. It has a wonderful hardwood bar and pictures of all the old Rat Packers - it's just tucked in there so it's not busy, but it's a fun place to stop in for. It just won't be the same without him!

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get to post some while I am away, but wanted to make sure I posted at least once before leaving. News on Mike: he's doing well, besides getting a little bit of a cold that he has dubbed "consumption" in one of his latest emails (I'm sure he's exaggerating, just a tad). He's keeping busy with work, trainings and catching up on many, many emails that he got while he was away. He has said that the weather has been colder and rainier since he's gotten back. It seems like maybe that in between stage we call Fall totally missed him and it's gone from blazing hot to really, really chilly. He did bring back a Navy sweatshirt so he'll have that on top of his warm-weather gear. He is, as always, remaining upbeat and positive, but I know that being away from home, family and friends during the holiday is just as hard on him as it is on all of us. If anyone wants and has a free a moment I know he'd love to hear what everyone is/has been up to - he may not have time to reply (he still doesn't have a regular computer on his desk), but I'm sure he'll enjoy hearing from everyone.

Well, I think that's about it for now. My taxi is coming at 5:00 am - yikes! I wish the best to everyone else braving the holiday travel in the next few days!

I love you Mike!

1 comment:

Kym said...

I hope you have a safe trip and you enjoy your Holidays!!!! Sounds like you are going to be surrounded by friends and family, which is good...

I hope you're doing better...keep in touch! Can't wait to hear all about everything!